Search ...I'm Outta My Mind...

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Al- Fatihah

This post is a tribute to a very great man, who was a stern teacher, a father, a grandfather, and a great grandfather. This very great man passed away around 6 pm, on the very last day of 2008. This great man, was my grandfather. His name was Mohammad bin Awang.

This was the last picture I have with him, taken back during my sister's wedding celebration in Kelantan last August. He had been bed ridden for at least 2 years now. But his condition deteriorated greatly since the last I met him in 2006. He was almost all bones. I knew he didn't have much time back then, and one of my greatest fears was that I wouldn't make it in time for him.

I've had some fond memories of my grandfather, of which we call Ayoh. I remember that he used to be very stern, and we grand kids were scared of him. But we loved him, and admired him for who he was. He was an ustaz and taught Arabic at a nearby surau. And everytime the sound of the his passola came to our ears, as if a signal, calling us grandkids to the door waiting for his return. For each time he returned, there was always icecream and snacks for us. He would occasionally joke that he didn't have anything for us, and if we didn't know him any better, with that very stern look, we would've believed him.

And now that he's gone, what's left on my part is regrets. Regrets that I didn't use my time when I was back in KB to be with him. That I didn't look after him, that I didn't hold his hand long enough, that I didn't make much contact with him. And now all those times with him are only memories, and everytime I go back to Kelantan and pass through Lorong Mohammad Sibawaih, I'll remember the legacy Ayoh has left behind.

Al- Fatihah. May you rest in peace and that Allah makes it easy for you in the here after. Ameen.

1 comment:

mr fotografer said...

Sesungguhnya kita ini utk Allah, dan kepada-Nya kita dikembalikan..

Moga Allah menempatkan rohnya di kalangan para muttaqin. Apabila matinya anak Adam, hanya 3 perkara yg menjadi bekalan: ilmu yg bermanfaat, sedekah yg berkekalan, dan anak yg soleh yg stiasa mendoakanya.

Count