Search ...I'm Outta My Mind...

Monday, November 10, 2008

Malaysia's Big 'Progress'

There's this one American guy who used to live in Malaysia back in 2001-2002 I know living in Nashville. He used to work as some kind of a tutor (if I'm not mistaken) back then. His name is Blayne Hall and most of the other Malaysian's here in Vandy know him.

Anyway, I was talking to him the other day and I asked him whether or not he has been back to Malaysia since he left in 2002. He said yes, he was just back last May. And so like anyone else who's ever been to a place repeatedly, he compared the difference between Malaysia then, and Malaysia now.

"Malaysia is a lot different now than it was back then," he said. For a moment there I felt proud. I thought he was going to complement on the development of Malaysia, I thought he was going to say something nice about the environment, about the cities, or heck, about the Malaysian people now.

How I was wrong. Because, this was what he said, "When I was in Sepang, I saw two Malaysian women, without head scarves, smoking by the side of the road. I never saw anything like that before. Maybe in Kl yes, but not anywhere else, not places like Sepang."

Wow. So much for the development of Malaysia. Is this where we're heading?

If so, SOS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After reading this entry, I remembered what Syed Qutub said when he looked at the westerners(am not sure whether in Uk or US).."You might be civilised but you lost your sole".And this was his turning point, becoming a very pious man..I think this is what happened in our beloved Malaysia..pembangunan material tak seimbang dengan pembangunan jiwa(rohani)..just a flip of thought

Count