Search ...I'm Outta My Mind...

Monday, June 23, 2008

iCON/VMGSim International User Conference 2008

Recently (17-19 June), I attended a conference on simulation processing co-organized by Petronas and Virtual Materials Group (VMG) at the Le Meridien Hotel in KL. ICON/VMGSim is a simulation software, one much like Aspen Plus .

The honorable guess speaker was Dr. Ding-Yu Peng (as in Peng-Robinson equation of state). It was a real surprise to learn of his attendance as that EOS he created is a real deal and is widely used in the chemical engineering world after it was created in 1976. Ask anyone in ChE, and they'll surely know of that equation (or heard of it, as in my case). Right Qayyum? Hehe..

The other speakers came from Petronas and VMG. It was a really nice experience, to say the least, considering all those people I got to meet and the things I got to learn. Frankly speaking, after meeting all those people from the ChE industry, I finally got a clearer picture of what they do in the industry.

The venue was a great one indeed. Le Meridien is such a luxurious hotel, probably the best yet I've been to (you can see I haven't been to much hotels). But nevertheless it was really fine. And the food? Well, the organizes had the kind of money to provide 3 lunches, a dinner, and tea breaks. Not to mention, Petronas workers and VIP invites as they call it(including myself) didn't have to pay for the event. And those who had to, only had to pay RM 160. This just shows how rich Petronas is. I could hardly stop eating once I enter the hotel restaurant. My eyes are always looking around, searching for the best to eat. haha..

And we also received some souvenirs from the organizers. They gave us this really neat 4GB thumb drive a third the size of the conventional thumb drives you see around. And being not much of a gadget person, I found that thumb drive to be really cool. lol. And they also gave us a Petronas shirt, which was kinda nice also. Petronas is just such a wealthy company. Sigh..

Pictures to come.....

5 comments:

Masita M. said...

wow.. kau jumpa lelaki peng-robinson.. wow wow..

Hubab Al Munzir Asmawi said...

hahha.. kelakar la ayat ko... nanti aku letak gambar aku ngn die..hahaha

Anonymous said...

ding, peng, chong, kwong

Anonymous said...

Intresting...i'm a former ChemE grad of Vandy (long time ago...Class of '98). Glad to know that u've enjoyed d conference. I had the opportunity to be one of the Beta tester of iCON back in 2003 but haven't got the opportunity to see the finish product...

Hubab Al Munzir Asmawi said...

wow, nice to meet you anonymous. Wish you would've left your contact info though

Count