Search ...I'm Outta My Mind...

Monday, November 5, 2007

Terengganu, Kelantan and English

Ok, I admit, the two former nouns don't usually go well with the latter. All over Malaysia, it is a well known fact that people associate students in Terengganu and Kelantan with a deficiency in the English languauge, which I too agree.

But believe it or not, there a lot of words in the K and T vocabulary that were actually derived from English. To name a few, I've listed them below:

gohek - go ahead
gostang - go stern
kona - corner
demo - them all
shupoda - shoe powder

Surely there are a lot more words then the five I've listed above. I'll update them once I come across. Being in the US, with only ~10 T and K students, it's hard to practice the dialects here.

And ya, I remember this game I used to play where the players are devided into two groups and take turns to be the police and the thieves. The game name: 'Polis-san-ti', well that was what we used to call it (and ya, I know this game is also popular elsewhere). The actual words to it? Police and thieves.

Indirectly, the people of T and K use the English language in their everyday lives. Thus, they shouldn't be intimidated, ashamed, or shy to further use it. Come on people of T and K, lets explore English!

* T and K ~ Terengganu and Kelantan.

No comments:

Count