Search ...I'm Outta My Mind...

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tawakal Concept in Islam

I was on my way back to sg buloh from work yesterday with my father when we stopped at this toll both to pray Maghrib. Concerned about shoe thefts, my father and I put our shoes close to the door of the surau. And Alhamdulillah, they were safe.

After finishing the prayers, a group of three people entered the surau. One of them asked me whether it was safe to leave their shoes outside. My father replied that it was safer to keep their shoes closer, as thefts are happening everywhere these days. So the guy moved his shoes by the door and urged his friends to do so too.

Surprisingly, both replied, "Alah, tawakal je la,"

My father smiled, and I knew why.

"Konsep tawakal tak betol," he said.

Tawakal isn't just about leaving your hope all to Allah without doing anything. You have to show effort in improving the condition.

It's true fate is in Allah's hand, Kun fayakun. Allah kata jadi, maka jadilah. But then again, "Verily, never will God change the condition of a people until they change it themselves.."
[Qur'an 13:11]

Remember the hadith: "One day Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, noticed a Bedouin leaving his camel without tying it. He asked the Bedouin, 'Why don't you tie down your camel?' The Bedouin answered, 'I put my trust in Allah .' The Prophet then said, 'Tie your camel first, then put your trust in Allah ' [Tirmidhi].

Moral of the story? First put your effort, then put your trust. May we take notice.

No comments:

Count